If you’re looking to lose weight, especially around your belly after having a child, you don’t have to starve yourself or work out until you drop. If you make a few simple lifestyle changes, you will be on our way to losing weight the right way–and that means keeping it off for good. If you’ve just had a baby, here are three ways to start lose weight after pregnancy, burn fat, and flatten your belly.
1. Eat Smaller Meals Throughout Your Day
You’ve heard this before, right? The idea is sound. Eat smaller meals more frequently and you will boost your metabolism. Your body will actually use the calories you ingest instead of storing them as fat on your body. Your stomach will shrink, feeling fuller on less food.
- The Problem: Who has time to make five or six meals a day? No one, especially if you have a newborn. This is why new moms tend to fail at this crucial fat loss step.
- The Solution: Start eating half meals! Eat a normal breakfast. At lunch time, instead of eating your entire lunch, only eat half of it. Save the other half to eat as a snack a couple hours later. Do the same at dinner time. You’ve just eaten 5 meals and prepared 3 or less. If you’re already having a small lunch or dinner, consider adding some higher calorie snacks as one of your meals.
Bonus Tip: Eat as often as your baby (just a little more than your baby!) and your metabolism should skyrocket and help you to lose pregnancy weight.
Not harder, but more often. This tip has been beaten into your head for years. We all know we should work out, but it’s hard to stay motivated and stick with it.
- The Problem: Heading to the gym is out of the question with a new bundle of joy at hand. Slipping out to the garage to workout for an hour will never work–even with the baby monitor nearby. We can’t get our work out in with the time we have available.
- The Solution: HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training. Workouts are anywhere from 8 to 12 minutes and are functional. This means the moves utilize your entire body. You will burn more calories and get cardio and weight resistance training in one workout!
Bonus Tip: It’s better to workout 8 minutes per day for 5 days a week than it is to workout for an hour one day a week. Call these short but intense workouts “baby steps to fat loss!”
3. Drink More Water
This is one of the easiest ways to step up your fat loss, but it’s the one many of us forget about. Eight 8 oz. glasses per day is the MINIMUM and we usually don’t reach that goal.
- The Problem: We forget to drink. We get wrapped up shopping for baby clothes online or too involved in our day. Suddenly it’s 5:00pm and we’ve had one glass of water.
- The Solution: Set a timer to go off every two hours. When it does, drop everything (but gently put down baby) and drink a full glass of water. Eventually, you’ll train yourself to drink more regularly. You’ll be amazed at how much better you feel.
Bonus Tip: Whenever you’re feeling hungry, you might actually just be thirsty! Try drinking a big glass of water, wait about 10 to 20 minutes, then decide if you still need to eat.
Fat loss after pregnancy doesn’t have to be painful. Follow these tips and you’ll start to make real changes to your body.